Baptisms are held during the 4 pm Saturday mass. There may be an instruction course for the parents. The Sacrament of Baptism takes place during the 4 PM Saturday Mass in the Upper Church. All family members should arrive at the Church around 1/2 hour before the mass and sit in the front row pews on the right facing the alter. There is a $100 donation for Baprisms.
In order to register your child, please contact the rectory at 617-547-4880 before the month you wish to have your child baptized.
In “Catholic Central: Baptism,” Kai and Libby look at the first sacrament, which is common to all Christians (Jesus was also baptized). Even outside of Christianity – and often in movies and TV -- entering into, and emerging from, water is a universal symbol of renewed life, a way of being born again “of water and the spirit.” Watch the video here.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) Do I need to bring anything to the Baptism preparation course?
- Yes, please bring a copy of your child's birth certificate.
2) Do both parents need to be present at the Baptism preparation course?
- While we would recommend that both parents attend, only one parent must be present. Godparents are welcome, but not required to attend. Someone must be present to represent the child.
3) Do both godparents need to be Catholic?
- No, only one godparent can be Catholic.
4) Can I have multiple godparents?
- Yes, you may have 2 godmothers and 1 godfather, for example. However, only one name for a godmother and one name for a godfather are able to be printed on the Baptism certificate.
5) What are the requirements for godparents?
- At least one godparent must be a confirmed Catholic. If either godparent is under 18 years of age, they must be represented by a proxy.
6) Is there a fee for the Baptism?
- There is a $100 Donation to the Church .
7) What is I have family that wants to attend the Baptism, but is not Catholic or doesn't want to attend Mass?
- The baptisms happen during the 4 PM Saturday mass. We advise any friends or family members that will be joining for the Baptism to arrive around 30 minutes before the mass and sit in the front row pews on the right facing the alter.
8) Does St. John's ever allow private Baptisms?
- Under extenuating circumstances, on occasion, arrangements can be made for a private Baptism. However, all requests must be made directly to Fr. Joe MacCarthy.
9) What if I need to cancel or change the date last minute?
- Please call the rectory if you need to cancel or postpone your child's Baptism. You may take the preparation course in a month other than the Baptism ceremony.