Baptisms are usually held on the third Sunday of each month with an instruction course for the parents on the second Sunday of each month. The Baptism preparation course takes place following the 11 a.m. Mass in our Parish Hall. The Sacrament of Baptism takes place following the 11 a.m. Mass in the Upper Church.
In order to register your child, please contact the rectory at 617-547-4880 before the month you wish to have your child baptized.
Frequently Asked Questions:
1) Do I need to bring anything to the Baptism preparation course?
- Yes, please bring a copy of your child's birth certificate.
2) Do both parents need to be present at the Baptism preparation course?
- While we would recommend that both parents attend, only one parent must be present. Godparents are welcome, but not required to attend. Someone must be present to represent the child.
3) Do both godparents need to be Catholic?
- No, only one godparent can be Catholic.
4) Can I have multiple godparents?
- Yes, you may have 2 godmothers and 1 godfather, for example. However, only one name for a godmother and one name for a godfather are able to be printed on the Baptism certificate.
5) What are the requirements for godparents?
- At least one godparent must be a confirmed Catholic. If either godparent is under 18 years of age, they must be represented by a proxy.
6) Is there a fee for the Baptism?
- No. Donations to the Church are accepted at your discretion.
7) What is I have family that wants to attend the Baptism, but is not Catholic or doesn't want to attend Mass?
- The baptisms happen immediately following the 11 a.m. Mass, but they are not part of the celebration of Mass, itself. There is no way to tell exactly how long Mass will last each week, so we advise any friends or family members that will be joining for the Baptism only to arrive by 11:45 and wait quietly in the back. However, it is strongly suggested family members attend the 11 a.m. Mass.
8) Does St. John's ever allow private Baptisms?
- Under extenuating circumstances, on occasion, arrangements can be made for a private Baptism. However, all requests must be made directly to Fr. Collins.
9) What if I need to cancel or change the date last minute?
- Please call the rectory if you need to cancel or postpone your child's Baptism. You may take the preparation course in a month other than the Baptism ceremony.